Lets see what is foot-printing? where Foot-printing is used ? why it is important to know everyone.
If you put a key under the mat for the cops, a burglar can find it, too. Criminals are using every technology tool at their disposal to hack into people’s accounts. If they know there’s a key hidden somewhere, they won’t stop until they find it.Tim Cook
Footprint means the gathering information about a target system which can be used to execute a successful cyber attack. Footprint is the process of collecting as possible information about the target system to find ways to penetrate into the system.
Privacy is a right foul git. Even if you hide your IP through a VPN, block cookies, and use a tool like uBlock Origin, you can still be tracked through a technique called device fingerprinting. To get information, you might use various methods with variant tools.
There are two types :
- Active Foot-printing – Active foot-printing involves the use of tools and techniques that can aid you in gathering more information about your target. Active footprinting means to perform foot-printing by getting in direct touch with the target machine.
- Passive Foot-printing – Passive foot-printing involves the uses of tools and resources that can assist you in obtaining more information about your target without ever ‘touching’ the target’s environment. Passive foot-printing means collecting information of a system located at a remote distance from the attacker.
Lets see why we use footprinting and what information we will gather from it?
- IP Address
- OS of Target system
- Email ids
- Network map
- Security configurations
- Server information
Different techniques are used for gathering information about the victim. Some of the most used techniques are :
- Crawling Technique – In this technique hackers gathered information about victims using their personal social media accounts etc.
- Search Engine Technique – In this technique hackers gather information using search engines like google, bing, yahoo etc. Using this process hackers target victim organisations.
- Whois Technique – whois is the application used by hackers to gather victim information like domain details, server information, etc.
Footprint helps to –
- Know Security Posture – The gathered data will help us to get an overview of the security posture of the company.
- Reduce Attack Area – using footprinting can identify a specific range of systems. This will help to reduce the number of system we are focussing on.
- Identify vulnerabilities – we can build an information database containing the vulnerabilities, threats, loopholes available in the system of the target organization.
- Draw Network map – helps to draw a network map of the networks in the target organization. This map covers topology, trusted routers, presence of server and other information.
Some Countermeasures to avoid harm:
- Avoid using confidential data in social media and websites
- Encrypt sensitive information
- Disable the protocols that are not in use.
- Enforcing security policies
- Promotion of education on various hacking tricks
- Aware all employee about such attacks
Some resources for more information –
*above information is only for educational purpose.
Recent years have witnessed the draftic improvement and advances in the machine learning field. As we know everything has two sides one is good and another is bad. Same things are now happening with the machine learning field. This is an alarming situation in the machine learning community.https://hackernoons.com/2020/06/22/what-is-adversarial-machine-learning/
Lets see what is two factor authentication, how it works and why everyone should use it? how it is important to use two factor authentication to protect your accountshttps://hackernoons.com/2020/06/21/what-is-two-factor-authentication-and-why-use-it/
Let’s take a look into what is Artificial Intelligence and what is the future of artificial intelligence. how much it is important to learn AI is explained in this articlehttps://hackernoons.com/2020/06/21/best-explain-artificial-intelligence-ai-and-its-future/